The Institute for Human Rights and Development in Africa (IHRDA) invites qualified persons to apply for the post of a Portuguese-speaking Legal Officer to strengthen its legal work in Africa. IHRDA is looking for a highly motivated individual who demonstrates professional competence and mastery of the subject matter, while taking pride in work and in achievements, both at personal and organizational levels.
- A law degree; LLM (preferred); and admission to legal practice with 4+ years of experience as a legal practitioner;
- An in-depth understanding the African human rights system and of comparative or international human rights law;
- Significant experience with human rights litigation at the national, regional or international levels;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work well as part of a multi-cultural and multi-lingual team;
- Previous experience with human rights training and/or public speaking;
- Excellent proficiency in Portuguese, and fluency in English and/or French;
- Experience with project design, implementation and donor reporting is desirable.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Location: The Gambia, with regular travels, especially in Africa
Salary: The position will offer a competitive salary (commensurate with experience)
Other benefits: Medical insurance; travel insurance; pension.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit (in Portuguese) your CV, a motivation letter, an unedited writing sample of 5 to 20 pages and a list of three references who are not related to you, with their full contact details.
Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com. Mention on the subject lien of the mail: “Recruitment of Lusophone Legal Officer”. Closing date for applications is 20 February 2019.