The Institute for Human Rights and Development in Africa (IHRDA) is seeking to recruit a legal officer with litigation experience, as well as knowledge of and familiarity with the African human rights system.
IHRDA is a pan-African human rights organisation, based in Banjul, The Gambia, promoting the effective use of African human rights instruments to protect rights in Africa. Our work entails offering pro bono legal counsel for victims of human rights abuses; conducting capacity building initiatives with actors in the promotion of human rights on the use of regional human rights instruments and mechanisms; and disseminating information on the African Human Rights System.
IHRDA is looking for a highly motivated individual who demonstrates professional competence and mastery of the subject matter, while taking pride in work and in achievements, both at personal and organizational levels.
- A legal degree; LLM (preferred); and admission to legal practice with 4+ years of experience as a legal practitioner;
- An in-depth understanding the African human rights system and of comparative or international human rights law;
- Significant experience with human rights litigation at the national, regional or international levels;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work well as part of a multi-cultural and multi-lingual team;
- Previous experience with human rights training and/or public speaking;
- Fluent in French/English with working knowledge of the other;
- Experience with project design, implementation and donor reporting, preferred.
- Residency in Tanzania / EAC Member State, preferred.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Location: The Gambia or Tanzania, with regular travels, mainly in Africa
Salary: The position will offer a competitive salary (commensurate with experience)
Other benefits: Medical insurance; travel insurance; pension.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send (in English or French) a Curriculum Vitae; a motivation letter, an unedited writing sample of 5 to 20 pages and a list of three references who are not related to the candidate, with their full contact details.
Please send applications to recruitment@IHRDA.org. Closing date for applications is 5 December 2016.