Banjul, 2 September 2019
The Institute for Human Rights and Development in Africa (IHRDA) invites qualified persons to apply for the post of Arabic-speaking Legal Officer to strengthen its legal work in Africa.
IHRDA is a pan-African human rights organization based in Banjul, The Gambia, working to promote the use and effectiveness of African human rights system. Our work entails offering pro bono legal counsel for victims of human rights abuses; conducting capacity building initiatives with actors in the promotion of human rights on the use of regional human rights instruments and mechanisms; and disseminating information on the African human rights system.
IHRDA is looking for a highly motivated individual who demonstrates professional competence and mastery of the subject matter, while taking pride in work and in achievements, both at personal and organizational levels.
- A law degree; LLM (preferred); and admission to legal practice with 4+ years of experience as a legal practitioner;
- An in-depth understanding the African human rights system and of comparative or international human rights law;
- Significant experience with human rights litigation at the national, regional or international levels;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work well as part of a multi-cultural and multi-lingual team;
- Previous experience with human rights training and/or public speaking;
- Excellent proficiency in Arabic, and fluency in English and/or French;
- Experience with project design, implementation and donor reporting is desirable.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Location: The Gambia, with travels, especially within Africa
Salary: The position will offer a competitive salary (commensurate with experience)
Other benefits: Medical insurance; travel insurance; pension.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your CV (in English or in French), a motivation letter, an unedited writing sample of 5 to 20 pages and a list of three references who are not related to you, with their full contact details.
Please send applications to email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org. Mention on the subject lien of the mail: “Recruitment of Arabic-speaking Legal Officer”. Closing date for applications is 30 September 2019.
Qualified persons from North Africa and women are highly encouraged to apply.