The Institute for Human Rights and Development in Africa (IHRDA) and the International Service for Human Rights (ISHR) are engaged in a joint project to produce a publication providing information on how the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights protects the rights of human rights defenders (HRDS) in Africa.
IHRDA and ISHR seek to engage a Consultant to turn an already existing first draft of the publication into a user-friendly text which will be launched during the 50th Ordinary Session of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (24 October – 7 November 2011).
Purpose and Scope of the Assignment
A first draft of the publication, which is already available, needs to be turned into a text using language, style and format which would deliver key information in a user-friendly manner, according to the following main specifications:
- Produce a publication which is clear, easily readable, using short, concise and to the point sentences;
- Turn complex legal concepts and text into straight-forward and accessible language;
- Break up the text by using short sections and a question-and-answer format, allowing the HRD to quickly locate the specific bit of information he/she is looking for by keeping paragraphs short and limited to a single subject matter;
- Use style which allows the text to be visually accessible and appealing, ensuring that the most important points are readable at a glance, with informative headings;
- Incorporate substantive improvements to the document through analysis and a focus on the advocacy potential of the document.
Time frame and Deliverable
The final publication is scheduled to be launched to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights during the 50th Ordinary Session of the African Commission to take place between 24 October and 7 November 2011.
The schedule and time frame to produce the deliverable (i.e. the reworked text) is as follows:
- 15 – 22 August 2011: Advertise on IHRDA and ISHR websites;
- 29 August 2011: Selected consultant informed;
- 31 August 2011: Signature of contract;
- 1 – 15 Sep 2011: Consultant to produce first version of revised draft;
- 16 – 23 Sep 2011: IHRDA/ISHR Review of first version of revised draft;
- 24 – 30 Sep 2011: Consultant incorporates comments;
- 1 – 8 Oct 2011: Final review (IHRDA and ISHR) and formatting;
- 9 – 15 Oct 2011: Printing
- Week of 24 – 31 October 2011: Launch
- Ability to write clearly, concisely and to summarise complex text without losing the gist;
- Ability to present legal concepts in an easy-to-understand manner;
- Ability to show ideas visually and graphically;
- Demonstrated experience in undertaking similar projects;
- Ability to work within tight deadlines and deliver on time.
A flat rate of Euros 1,000.
How to Apply
- Please send a letter indicating your interest in undertaking this project, together with a two-page CV and an unedited sample of your work;
- Deadline for the application: 23 August 2011